Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mustard chicken delish


If you haven't bought yourself a copy of Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle, hop online or to your local book seller and grab one. This book is fantastic. Not only is if full of great recipes, it is fancy and all purdy like. As a former artiste, I wholly approve of the wonderful images, layout and general awesomeness packed into this gem of a book. It is more than a cook book, it is sort of a self help guide. While I would love to see more breakfasts in the recipe section, I have learned to let go of what is "breakfast food" and eat whatever is in the fridge first thing in the a.m.

In the cookbook there is a wonderful recipe for mustard and sage salt chicken. I switched mine up a bit and came up with something that suits my palatte a bit more. The first time I tried it I had friends over who absolutely loved the dish. I cooked it in an enameled cooker and used the juices to then cook my vegetables and make my rutabaga mash extra lovely. I used the coconut oil which gave me a problem as I have a coconut allergy and I am not having much success incorperating it into my diet. I keep trying little doses but my body keeps rejecting it. I suppose there could be worse things to have an allergy to. 

My version of it mixes two kinds of mustards for a sweet and spicy version. I have a sweet seeded Bavarian style mustard and a smooth blend spicy German variety. I use more of the sweet than the spicy and add a couple of pinches of sage and cracked black pepper to round out the flavors. Because I wasn't cooking this with any veggies, I placed it on a tray and captured the juices in the tin foil. The cooking was reduced once I bought boneless and skinless thighs. It didn't have the crispiness that the skin on version did but for my purposes it was alright. My son loves this and makes a very cute face when I give him bites of it. I take the extras and chop it up and make it into omelettes, chicken salad and chicken lettuce wraps. The flavor can be augmented with a bit of paprika or chili powder. 


Ingredients:
  • 4-12 chicken thighs. Boneless or bone in.
  • 1 tbl sage
  • cracked black pepper
  • 4 tbl of a sweeter mustard
  • 1 tbl of a spicy mustard
Preheat oven to 425F. Make a rub for the chicken out of the ingredients and coat evenly. Place on a baking rack over a cookie sheet that is foil covered. Cook the boneless version for 30 minutes or the bone-in for 45. You can also make it in a dish with your chopped veggies piled around it. The mix I used was 2 carrots, 2 parsnips and 1/2 red onion all chopped into bite sized pieces.

I served this with a side of mashed rutabaga with a dash of nutmeg on top. So good. To make it extra creamy, add a little of the chicken fat. MMMMM

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.