Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Curried Carrot Coconut Soup

A soup is a great way to change up your weekly meal plans, make a simple meal that is great as a side or main and a great way to get your kids to eat plenty of vegetables. I love the simply delicious flavors in curries but I tended to stay away thinking that they would be spicy. It took this soup to convince me that curries are a very good thing. I usually make this with a whole roasted chicken so my husband can pull it apart and drop the chicken in his soup. I like mine with cauliflower tortillas to dip in it. My son loves it any way he can get it. He is a soup connoisseur. This recipe is dairy free and quick to make so it is a regular on our menu. This serves 4 and can be expanded by adding more stock and carrots. 

Since my son was recently diagnosed with corn and milk allergies, we are really careful to scrutinize the labels on his products. When shopping for a coconut milk, make sure that your product only lists a few key ingredients. Ours had coconut, water, guar gum. As far as we have found, only one company makes a coconut milk with no stabilizer thickener (guar gum) and that is Trader Joes. Since I don't have one near me, the Taste of Thai milk is our best bet. The guar gum is 8x more powerful than cornstarch as a thickener yet isn't made of that nasty allergen. 

Ingredients:
  • 6 carrots
  • 1/2 white or yellow onion
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 tbl curry seasoning
  • 1 pinch sea salt
  • 1 can of coconut milk
Cook:
Cut up your onion and carrots into chunks. They don't need to be too fine since you will be boiling and blending later.
In a dutch oven saute the onion in a little oil or grease while you cut up your carrots. Add the salt and carrots and cook for 5 minutes on medium/low. Let them get a little soft and golden. Add the curry powder, stir. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Boil about 8-10 minutes. You will stop cooking it once the carrots can be smashed against the side of the pot easily. At this point. Take it off the heat and use either an immersion blender or pour into a blender. Blend until smooth and add the coconut milk. That is it. 



Could it be any easier? Didn't think so. I recently tried adding a green bell pepper into the mix and was pleased with the results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.