Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Spiced Apples with Turkey

It is apple season and I wanted to expand my apple cooking techniques beyond the pie and crumble. I can bake apples, eat apples and make apple sauce but can I cook with apples? I did a little digging around and testing out cook times and came up with a fabulous fall main dish. I love a good pork chop and learned recently that you can do just about anything with turkey that you can with pork. Turns out turkey is kind of a chameleon in the kitchen. Not as dry as the Thanksgiving bird once it is sliced into manageable pieces for cooking. 
I find that the variety of apple that you eat or cook with matters.  For cooking and baking I enjoy the Golden Delicious variety. For eating, the Granny Smith or Crisps. This past week our farmer's market started selling apples. We bought a ton of them. This next week I will be buying bushels of them. Why so many? Well, my son's allergy to corn makes his apple picking preferences pretty particular. The grocery store apples can be up to a year old. (Ewww gross. No, I am not even kidding, look it up.) Worse than that, apples, along with other fruits and veggies are sprayed with a corn based wax. We learned this the hard way. I am sure that is the only way I ever learn things.  Peeling apples certainly helps but I would rather have apples that are fresh, grown THIS year and support my community. 
Ingredients: 
  • 3 Golden Delicious apples- peeled, chopped
  • 4 Turkey breast slices or pork chops
  • 1 tbl olive oil
  • 1/2 tbl garlic powder
  • 1/2 tbl ginger powder
  • 1/2 tbl cumin
  • 1/4 tsp coriander 
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch salt
  • pinch pepper

Cook:
In a saute pan heat the olive oil. Peel, core and slice the apples and cook for 2 minutes in the pan over medium heat. In a small bowl prep all of the dry spices together. Add the turkey or chops into the pan and let sit for 2-3 minutes so they form a nice crust. Add the spices to the apples and mix around to ensure even coating. Flip the turkey and cook another 3-4 minutes on the other side. Once the pink is gone you are all done. 
With Thanksgiving coming up I am really working on making a list of recipes that feel like the holidays. Last year was our major elimination diet year and we had not yet found the Paleo and Primal community. We ended up making enchiladas thinking it was safe for our son. That was about when we figured out that his issue was corn. Oops. Corn tortillas were a really bad idea. (Corn allergy) This year we will be enjoying a primal feast. I have mastered the art of cooking real food. Okay, so maybe not mastered but I am certainly on my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.